Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Delayed start

Before I went to bed last night, the phone call came in that we would have a delayed opening. The snow that had been falling, was starting to stick and by morning the report said, "we would have a messy commute". I for one, love delayed openings. We get to sleep in and the kids get to go to school. Its a beautiful thing.
Visiting with my children over a longer breakfast gives them a sense of peace. They are calmer and they begin their day without all the hurried craziness that goes along with: swallow breakfast, get dressed, brush teeth and hair and jump on the bus. My oldest, Victoria, began middle school this year and with that comes an earlier bus schedule. This, at first was a nightmare. The first day of school the bus was 2 hours late. Yes, 2 hours late. Every other day the bus driver gets here whenever she feels like it, anywhere from 20 minutes early to right on time. We put the Kabosh on that. Now I see her hanging out down the street until it is closer to our bus pick up time. The only blessing is that it is in front of our house.
I bring that up because it comes back to organization. Although I am pretty organized on this part of the routine, I feel there is always room for improvement. I wake up and as soon as I come down stairs, gather their lunches Monday thru Thursday. They are allowed to buy pizza from school on Friday's. I am a big fan of making my own lunch meats. Never been crazy about all the chemicals they put in deli stuff so I usually roast extra chicken or make a bigger roast beef. The kids actually love it and eat it better. Again, it requires the right kind of planning. This week was not successful and we needed to buy our deli meats. This brings me back to the meal planning thing again.
Couldn't I have a prep kitchen and a clean up crew? That would make my life so simple. Last week I went to the Martha Stewart show and there had to be at least 10 people in her prep kitchen and 10 people that cleaned up after every meal, craft or move she made. Today's challenge is going to be to pull out every food item I have in the cabinets and pantry and organize it into groups. The video I watched about organizing pantries says to group your food in the type it is. Cereals, pastas, etc. I have so many plastic containers and a label maker ready to go. Stay tuned to see how successful this will be.

1 comment:

  1. Pictures, pictures, pictures. You should do a "before" and "after" shot. This will be so worth it for your journaling and to see a job well done. Do you know how to upload them to a post? Anyway, ask me as many questions as you'd like. That's what I had to do for months when I started and I still ask questions. :-)

    The whole pick up time being 20 minutes early, on time, or 2 hours late would be really hard. Thankfully you put the kabosh on it!

    ReplyDelete