Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Inspirations

I spent most of my morning trying to get 20 ebay packages ready to ship, since we are supposed to get over a foot of snow, and watching the movie Julie/Julia.  As I watched this movie, I was constantly reminded of my grandmother (Babushka) Anya.  A perfectionist, strong, knowledgeable, worldly woman that I miss everyday.  I remember watching Julia Child cooking episodes with her and watching her absorb her cooking know how and applying it to the things she made.  I'm not sure if she liked watching her for her expertise or that it reminded her of her time in France and the experiences she had there.
My mother was born in Sans, France during the time that my family escaped Russia during the communist movement.  They arrived there with a small child and another on the way(my mom).  They didn't have any family there, didn't speak the language, no place to live or a job.  They worked hard in the fields and then my grandmother came home to make dinner and keep house.  Modern woman in the making.
I sometimes wonder how she stayed so strong.  Her house was always tidy and organized.  She made home cooked meals every single day, and never took a vacation(except for the time she came to Atlanta to see me graduate from Chiropractic College when I was 27 years old), and loved life to the fullest.  She taught me how to garden, about our Russian traditions, food,  Russian music and dances, but most of all devotion to God.
My grandparents moved to the US when my Mom was 5 years old.  They were the cornerstones of the Russian population that began an Orthodox Church here.  No matter the monetary struggle, they always gave to the Church, and honored God in their daily life.  My grandfather Peter never began a meal, went to bed, or got in the car without a prayer.  I often get so busy in life that I forget to do this, but he never did.
I guess my whole purpose of todays entry is that I am striving everyday to be a better Christian, wife, and mother and trying to find the balance that my grandmother had and it isn't as easy as she made it seem.  So my inspiration for today is to continue to cook, clean and do laundry with a smile on my face and pray that someday my kids will be as thankful to me as I am to my Grandmother and Mother.

3 comments:

  1. I know your Babushka meant the world to you. And knowing how your family is, close & devoted to one another, you meant the world to her. I know you did. It's just that I never really got to know her myself. I suppose if I did, there would have a slight problem... the language barrier.

    The relationship between you and your mom is amazing. I have always looked at it with high regard. My mom and I were very close for a long time and had some struggles as you know, but she was my biggest fan.

    What a great story. Keep telling them. I have a feeling you can write a really lengthy one about your dear mom.

    Sending hugs your way... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful tribute to your Grandma. Just listening to you discribe her and how hard working she was, and the fact that she never took a vacation. I was just mentioning to my husband the other day how bad I need a vacation. Sometimes we need to remember how it WAS, and be thankful for even the small conveniences we have these days. I wonder if our life now would have felt like a vacation to your Grandma. Don't know if I really expressed what your post made me feel...but thanks for sharing a wonderful lady with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. My grandparents were such a blessings in my life and I, too pray I am the true reflection of Christ with my children and grandchildren.
    Blessings, andrea

    ReplyDelete